Questions we get asked frequently. If you have more, reach out to a recruiter.
What's required to be an officer at Temple PD?
- Must pass a written Civil Service entrance exam.
- Meet all requirements of the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement for licensing of Peace Officers.
- Veterans: Must possess an honorable discharge after a minimum of 24 months of active duty and be eligible for re-enlistment.
- Be a graduate of an accredited high school or have an equivalency certificate issued by the Texas Education Agency (or equivalent agency in another state or District of Columbia).
- Must be 21 years of age at the time the applicant presents themselves to the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement but not have attained 45 years of age at the time of the written entrance test.
What would disqualify me from becoming an officer at Temple PD?
- Convicted of a Class A or Higher (Felony)
- Convicted of Class C, or pending charge involving moral turpitude within 5 years prior to the date of the entrance examination.
- DWI within 10 years entrance examination
- Misdemeanor Narcotics:
- Must wait 2 years for experimental or 3 for consecutive use
- Felony Narcotics:
- Must wait 3 years for experimental or 5 for consecutive use
- Driving Record:
- 4 or more moving violations within 5 years of employment
- 3 or more moving violations within 2 years of employment
- 2 moving violations within 12 months of employment
- 2 at-fault traffic accidents within 3 years of employment
- Combination of moving violations within an at-fault accident within 3 years of employment
- Suspended or revoked license within 5 years of employment
- If suspension violation was for Purchase, Attempt Purchase, Consumption, Possession, or Misrepresent Age by Minor: must wait 2 years
- Unsatisfactory prior service either military or law enforcement
- Failure to complete paperwork
- Unfit mentally or physically
- Having illegally used or sold an illicit substance
- Unfit moral character
How much money does a Temple Police Officer make a year?
PROBATIONARY OFFICER $62,764
POLICE OFFICER $63,258
- 1 Year $64,524
- 3 Years $66,459
- 5 Years $69,117
- 7 Years $72,573
- 9 Years $76,928
CORPORAL Promotion $78,466
SERGEANT Promotion $81,605
- 1 Year after Promotion $84,053
- 3 Years after Promotion $86,575
- 5 Years after Promotion $89,172
LIEUTENANT Promotion $96,268
- 1 Year after Promotion $99,156
- 3 Years after Promotion $102,130
- 5+ Years after Promotion $105,194
DEPUTY POLICE CHIEF Promotion $122,408
- 1 Year after Promotion $126,080
- 3 Years after Promotion $129,863
- 5+ Years after Promotion $133,759
What are the steps in the selection process?
- Must pass the Civil Service Exam
- Physical Row Test: Candidates are required to complete a physical row test.
- Background investigation
- Polygraph exam
- Oral interview board
- Work fitness medical exam including a drug test
- Psychological exam
What about TCOLE for out of state officers looking for a career move to Texas ?
Please visit the link below to find out more information about a career move to Texas.